[S3tools-general] secure file transfer
Ashish Yadav
2015-02-24 16:17:08 UTC
I encrypt my files before I transfer to S3. However, I would like to make sure the transfer is secure too. We currently to scp or ssh. Now that we want to use s3cmd, how can we ensure that the transfer of the files is secure as well? We are using s3cmd version 1.0.0 on Debian Linux squeeze version.
Prakash P
2015-02-25 20:20:12 UTC
Hi Ashish,

Use https for encryption during transfer.

Check - http://s3tools.org/s3cmd-howto

Regards,
Prakash
Post by Ashish Yadav
I encrypt my files before I transfer to S3. However, I would like to
make sure the transfer is secure too. We currently to scp or ssh. Now that
we want to use s3cmd, how can we ensure that the transfer of the files is
secure as well? We are using s3cmd version 1.0.0 on Debian Linux squeeze
version.
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
Ashish Yadav
2015-02-25 20:49:21 UTC
Prakash,

The 'howto' page doesn’t show how to configure s3cmd to use https.

David Wall

Linux squeeze version.
Matt Domsch
Ashish Yadav
2015-02-25 21:40:20 UTC
Matt,

We are using s3cmd on Debian Linux squeeze version. Is s3cmd version 1.5.2 supported on Debian squeeze?

From: Matt Domsch <***@domsch.com<mailto:***@domsch.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM
To: s3tools-general <s3tools-***@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:s3tools-***@lists.sourceforge.net>>

Matt Domsch
2015-02-25 21:46:26 UTC
It is supported on python 2.6 and 2.7 so it should work on squeeze.
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM
You are strongly encouraged to upgrade to 1.5.2. 1.0.0 is ancient
(years old) and many many bugs have been fixed in the meantime.
Post by David Wall
use_https = True
I encrypt my files before I transfer to S3. However, I would like to make
sure the transfer is secure too. We currently to scp or ssh. Now that we
want to use s3cmd, how can we ensure that the transfer of the files is
secure as well? We are using s3cmd version 1.0.0 on Debian Linux squeeze
version.
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub
for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership
blogs to
Ashish Yadav
2015-02-25 21:48:42 UTC
Great. And how can I confirm that the transfer is secure? I did enable https to be ‘True’ in the config file. Is there a way to confirm that it is transferring data over https?

From: Matt Domsch <***@domsch.com<mailto:***@domsch.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 3:46 PM
To: s3tools-general <s3tools-***@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:s3tools-***@lists.sourceforge.net>>

Prakash P
2015-02-26 03:17:41 UTC
Use tcpdump to capture the packet and analyze the packets to check whether
they are secure. :)