[S3tools-general] IAM user or role?
Bob Sutterfield
2013-11-27 01:39:03 UTC
I'm delighted to find such a tool as this, and eager to start syncing my
log files to S3 for consumption by EMR.

I have installed s3cmd version 1.5.0-alpha3
We have an IAM user "s3common" with an access key, but I can't find that it
has a secret key.
s3cmd --configure asks for both access and secret keys.
When will it ask for the user name, and where do I get the secret key?

Should I create a role instead? If so, how do I configure s3cmd?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Prakash P
2013-11-27 08:19:35 UTC

If you don't remember the secret key, better disable that credential and
create a new one.

Please check
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/IAM/latest/UserGuide/ManagingCredentials.html#Using_CreateAccessKey

Thanks,
Prakash
Matt Rogers
2013-11-27 08:57:07 UTC
I'd be very impressed if anyone could actually "remember" the key!!!!

Matt Rogers

UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382

Email: ***@feedspark.com <mailto:***@feedspark.com>

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Bob Sutterfield <***@sutterfields.us>
wrote:

I'm delighted to find such a tool as this, and eager to start syncing my
log files to S3 for consumption by EMR.

I have installed s3cmd version 1.5.0-alpha3

We have an IAM user "s3common" with an access key, but I can't find that
it has a secret key.

s3cmd --configure asks for both access and secret keys.

When will it ask for the user name, and where do I get the secret key?

Should I create a role instead? If so, how do I configure s3cmd?

Thanks for any suggestions!

------
affects their revenue. With AppDynamics, you get 100% visibility into
your
Java,.NET, & PHP application. Start your 15-day FREE TRIAL of
AppDynamics Pro!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=84349351&iu=/4140/ostg.clk
trk
Bob Sutterfield
2013-11-27 21:41:17 UTC
I was mistaken in my understanding of IAM and its handling of access/secret
key pairs.
Turns out a colleague - who had set up our IAM users and groups - had the
secret key.
With that, of course s3cmd works perfectly and we're in business.
Sorry for the red herring new-user question!